Sunday, June 03, 2007


We got SUNSHINE!!!


Click Mr. Sunshine for your surprise.

All week, it's been sunny in our region. Vancouverites are happy as well as the Flowers. I think everyone is happy, even the birds and butterflies. The sun really boosts us to do outdoor activities. And what is it for the gardeners? It's an exciting day to putter around the garden or simply relax and enjoy the surroundings. Like other gardeners, we have been busy spring cleaning, and transplanting the seedlings and making new flowerbeds. Well, I'm happy that my flowerbeds border is now done and we just have to fill it up with dirt.

How's your garden doing?

Here comes JUNE, the month we been waiting for. We expect to see beautiful gardens. I will visit yours soon. See you there!

Gardening Tips from the Old Days

I read this somewhere, I can't remember and kept it to my file. I thought I should share this with you. Some tricks that you might wanna try.

  • Add a few drops of castor oil to the dirt around plants to make leaves greener.

  • To keep rabbits out, place dried sulfur around the edges of the garden.

  • Your plants will double in size and beauty with this monthly treatment. Add one teaspoon baking powder, one teaspoon of Epsom Salts, and a half teaspoon of household ammonia to one gallon of tepid water.

  • Sweet corn ears are ripe and ready to pick when the top of the cob is rounded, not pointed.

  • Sprinkle powdered detergent or cayenne pepper in the dirt around sweet corn to keep raccoons away.

  • Radishes or spearmint planted near squash will act as a natural insecticide.

  • Plant dill nearby to discourage worms from tomatoes.

  • Don't throw away your leftover coffee in the morning. Pour it over your geraniums to promote blooming.

  • African violets will bloom longer and more abundantly if you stick a few rusty nails in the soil alongside them.

  • To keep cats from digging in your flower beds, put pine cones around the plants.


This Week Feature - Flowers:

White Irises

Blue Iris

Nelly Moser Clematis at the side of the house

Behind that lattice( at the backyard).

Nelly Moser at the front house fence.



My other clematis at the front gate entrance.

The other Clematis (at the backyard)

Clematis 'Ville de Lyon'

Sampaguita the National flower of the Philippines. Other name for this is Jasmine.
Last night, the Sampaguita scents filled my living room with a nice perfume . I love it!!! I bought two the other day and gave one to my new neighbor.

The other Sampaguita

Climbing Rose - the first rose to bloom this spring

FoxGloves

Dahlias


The Swan with a load of Dahlias on their backResting after the hard work of finishing the flowerbed





Well.. last but not the least... my new Orchid that surprised me the other day.

There are more fotos but.............. time for me to enjoy the sunhine. Don't forget to protect your skin... wear hats and sun screeen lotion.